Role: PhD Student
Department: Public Health and Primary Care, Department of
School: Clinical Medicine
Organisation: University of Cambridge
Sarah is a public health researcher from Lebanon currently pursuing her PhD at the University of Cambridge, UK. Her project aims at describing the patterns of change in health and social care needs of the older olds and the role of social well-being in healthy ageing. She is analysing longitudinal data from a rare cohort study of 28 years of follow up, the Cambridge City over-75s Cohort Study (CC75C). She holds a BS in Medical Laboratory Sciences and a Master in Public Health with emphasis on Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. She also coordinated the implementation of the first 10/66 dementia cohort study in Lebanon (2016-17).
1. Chaaya, M., S. Assaad, K. El Asmar, H. Darwich, R. Khoury, D. Saab, G. Karam and R. Hajjar (2018). "Dementia incidence among a cohort of Lebanese older adults: First incidence estimate from the Middle East and North Africa." Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association 14(7): P227-P228.
2. Darwish, H., N. Farran, S. Assaad and M. Chaaya (2018). "Cognitive reserve factors in a developing country: education and occupational attainment lower the risk of dementia in a sample of Lebanese older adults." Frontiers in aging neuroscience 10: 277.
3. Chaaya, M., K. Phung, S. Atweh, K. El Asmar, G. Karam, R. M. Khoury, L. Ghandour, H. Ghusn, S. Assaad and M. Prince (2018). "Socio-demographic and cardiovascular disease risk factors associated with dementia: Results of a cross-sectional study from Lebanon." Preventive medicine reports 9: 1-5.
4. Elbejjani, M., S. Assaad and M. Chaaya (2018). "Differences in urban-rural place of birth and residence at older age and cognitive functioning in Lebanese older adults." Alzheimer's & Dementia: The Journal of the Alzheimer's Association 14(7): P1344-P1345.
5. Chaaya, M., K. Phung, S. Atweh, K. El Asmar, G. Karam, R. Khoury, L. Ghandour, H. Ghusn, S. Assaad and M. Prince (2017). "Dementia and family burden of care in Lebanon." BJPSYCH INTERNATIONAL 14(1): 7-9.